For the past few months I've been taking part in a MOOC (Massive Online Open Course) through the MIT Media Lab. The course was called "Learning Creative Learning" and was run by the Lifelong Kindergarten Group. learn.media.mit.edu
From this I learned a lot about online courses and how people behave on an online course, and more importantly, I started to think about how to facilitate creative thinking and creative learning in the young people I come across. The course was also skewed towards technology and using technology to create in quite a practical way, an idea that is close to my heart.
The Lifelong Kindergarten Group are the people behind "Scratch" which is a programming language for young people which can be accessed at (http://scratch.mit.edu) and this was used in the course as a method for encouraging creativity. This was topical for me because this is what we are dealing with in classes this term. I have observed many more Year 7 and 8 students in the ICT labs at lunch time working on their Scratch games which is encouraging. This is something I'd like to look at more in other classes across the school. Scratch also provides an online community where anyone can share their projects and a teacher's community ScratchEd which gets teachers talking about using Scratch in all sorts of creative ways.
Another fun bit of 'kit' used in the course was the 'MaKey MaKey'
I'll be sharing some of the things I learned over the next few months.
From this I learned a lot about online courses and how people behave on an online course, and more importantly, I started to think about how to facilitate creative thinking and creative learning in the young people I come across. The course was also skewed towards technology and using technology to create in quite a practical way, an idea that is close to my heart.
The Lifelong Kindergarten Group are the people behind "Scratch" which is a programming language for young people which can be accessed at (http://scratch.mit.edu) and this was used in the course as a method for encouraging creativity. This was topical for me because this is what we are dealing with in classes this term. I have observed many more Year 7 and 8 students in the ICT labs at lunch time working on their Scratch games which is encouraging. This is something I'd like to look at more in other classes across the school. Scratch also provides an online community where anyone can share their projects and a teacher's community ScratchEd which gets teachers talking about using Scratch in all sorts of creative ways.
Another fun bit of 'kit' used in the course was the 'MaKey MaKey'
I'll be sharing some of the things I learned over the next few months.
No comments:
Post a Comment