Friday, 24 May 2013

Using YouTube as a classroom resource

Well we all know that our students use YouTube all the time, mostly to check out new music, but is there a place for YouTube in the classroom?

I was playing with the YouTube app on my iPad last night and after a few minutes of tinkering, started thinking of all sorts of ways to use YouTube in my classroom in a much more formal way. Sure, I pull up YouTube from time to time to demonstrate a particular point but how do we formalise that into a resource which is really useful for ourselves and our students.

The answer, I think, might lie in setting up a YouTube channel for yourself. If you have a Google account you are already on your way to a very easy set up. A YouTube channel will allow you to upload your own videos (maybe we'll think about that another day!) but what I was looking at this evening is setting up playlists which I can hopefully figure out how to share with my students.

So this is what YouTube looks like now that I've logged in (with my gmail account details).


On the left I have a list of all the 'channels' I have subscribed to. New submissions pop up as alerts. The middle panel has a list of suggested videos from my channels. To the right are some suggestions of things I might like.

No comments:

Post a Comment