Sunday, 14 October 2012

Project Based Learning vs The Flipped Classroom

For some years the idea of the 'flipped classroom' has been a fad amongst teachers. The idea is basically that you do what is traditionally done in classrooms (i.e. lectures) at home and do the work which is traditionally done at home (i.e. working through problems and activities) at school. In this way teachers are available to aid students while they are actually working and the 'passive' activity of listening to a lecture can happen when the student is at home.

I can't say I've ever really used this approach in my own classroom but I found this blog on the subject very interesting: http://plpnetwork.com/2012/10/08/flip-love-affair/

What this writer is implying is that flipping the classroom is not all that interesting or successful (in her view), but using a Project Based Learning (PBL) approach is the way forward. Interestingly enough, this teacher does this without everyone having a computer in front of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment